- Africa (167)
- Americas (320)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (265)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Yellow-breasted Pipit (Hemimacronyx chloris): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- White-winged Cotinga (Xipholena atropurpurea): downlist from Endangered to Vulnerable?
- Atlantic Royal Flycatcher (Onychorhynchus swainsoni): downlist from Vulnerable to Near Threatened?
- The taxonomic treatment of the Little Shearwater (Puffinus assimilis)/Audubon’s Shearwater (P. lherminieri) complex is being revised, and P. bryani is being recognised as a species: request for information
- One to Watch - Spoon-billed Sandpiper December 2, 2016In our "One to Watch" series, we take a quick look at the status of some of the iconic species we're working on. Fondly known in birding circles as Spoonie, the charismatic Spoon-billed Sandpiper Calidris pygmaea occupies a limited breeding range in north-eastern Russia, from where it migrates down the western Pacific coast to its […]
- Pioneering Sri Lankan bird group turns 40 December 2, 2016Sri Lanka, October 1976: seven intrepid trailblazers set their sights on making a solid impact on bird awareness and biodiversity conservation on the island. The result? The creation of the Field Ornithology Group of Sri Lanka (FOGSL). Fast forward to 2016, and FOGSL are celebrating their 40th anniversary. Led by the much-loved Emeritus Prof Sarath […]
- Birds and Beyond – Special Protection Areas in the EU December 2, 2016BirdLife’s Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas (IBAs) have long been recognised as the scientific baseline for identifying nature hotspots worthy of Special Protection Area (SPA) status under the EU’s iconic nature laws – the Birds Directive. New research conducted by a team of international scientists – led by the University of Helsinki and recently published […]
- One to Watch - Spoon-billed Sandpiper December 2, 2016
Tag Archives: Bugun Liocichla
Archived 2014 discussion: Bugun Liocichla (Liocichla bugunorum): is it eligible for a higher threat category?
The likely range of this species has been recently remapped with reference to a recently reported sighting near Bomdila (C. Bonpo in litt. 2011), resulting in an estimated Extent of Occurrence (EOO) of c.140 km2. The species is now known from up to three locations. Comments are invited on this species’s threat status and further information would be welcomed, particularly on the likely population size and trend. Continue reading