- Africa (150)
- Americas (276)
- Archive (525)
- Asia (222)
- Australia (29)
- Europe & Central Asia (68)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (46)
- Pacific (80)
- Species Group (183)
- Taxonomy (40)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Striped Manakin (Machaeropterus regulus) is being split: list M. regulus as Near Threatened?
- Shrike-like Cotinga (Laniisoma elegans) is being split: request for information
- Ethiopian Boubou (Laniarius aethiopicus) is being split: request for information for L. nigerrimus and L. erlangeri.
- Asian Fairy-bluebird (Irena puella) is being split: list Palawan Fairy-bluebird I. tweeddalei as Near Threatened?
- The newly described taxon Hypocnemis rondoni is to be recognised as a species by BirdLife: request for information.
- Threatened African rainforest teeming with unique life declared a National Park September 23, 2016It is one of the last strongholds of the Guinean Forest, a moist forest eco-region that once covered West Africa like a blanket from Guinea to Togo, but has shrunk by 70% over the last several centuries due to human activities in the region. It offers vital resources to the communities who live on the […]
- Fancy a mate? Only if shade grown September 23, 2016Organic yerba mate receives a healthy infusion from Darwin Initiative grants scheme. Guyra Paraguay (BirdLife in Paraguay) and its local partners awarded more than £300,000 to protect Paraguay’s Atlantic Forest through their shade grown yerba mate project. When you think about plantations, several images may spring to mind. Rows of uniform trees stretching as […]
- The best of both worlds: a joint statement from HeidelbergCement & BirdLife September 22, 2016If politics is, as they say, ‘the art of the possible’, then the HeidelbergCement-BirdLife partnership has very good news for the European Commission. All too often, environmental concerns are unwisely dismissed as secondary to – or, in some cases, incompatible with – economic activity. Yet, Eurobarometer polls show that European citizens expect progress in both […]
- Threatened African rainforest teeming with unique life declared a National Park September 23, 2016
Tag Archives: Blue Chaffinch
Blue Chaffinch (Fringilla teydea) is being split: list F. teydea as Near Threatened and F. polatzeki as Critically Endangered or Endangered?
This is part of a consultation on the Red List implications of extensive changes to BirdLife’s taxonomy for passerines Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International will soon publish the second volume of the HBW-BirdLife Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the … Continue reading
Blue Chaffinch Fringilla teydea is currently listed as Near Threatened, however an increase in the species’s range on Tenerife strongly suggests that its overall population size has also increased. Notwithstanding the precarious state of the Gran Canaria subspecies, this suggests that the global status of the species ought to be revised to Least Concern. Continue reading