- Africa (169)
- Americas (321)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (266)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing of birds in Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq and Iran
- Shy Albatross (Thalassarche cauta): uplist from Near Threatened to Vulnerable?
- Amsterdam Albatross (Diomedea amsterdamensis): downlist from Critically Endangered to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- Northern Brown Kiwi (Apteryx mantelli): downlist to Vulnerable?
- Lessons from Little Barrier Island March 27, 2017*A version of this story first appeared in Forest & Bird magazine http://bit.ly/2h3SBAu. You can find out more about Forest & Bird, our New Zealand BirdLife Partner, at www.forestandbird.org.nz Alanna Matamaru-Smith, from our Cook Islands’ BirdLife Partner Te Ipukarea Society finds out more about seabird conservation during a recent visit to Little Barrier Island, off the northeastern coast of New […]
- Vultures need you March 24, 2017Let’s face it: vultures are special. Part of human culture, they are seen as disgusting by some, yet loved by others (including us and you). Asia’s vultures have suffered some of the fastest population declines ever recorded in a bird, and Africa’s recent severe declines mean that now most old-world vultures are on the edge […]
- Discover Australia's most vital places for nature March 24, 2017Picture Australia's most spectacular wild places—the places that evoke nostalgia in the hearts of Australians and beckon visitors from far-flung lands. Your mind might immediately jump to the dramatic sandstone escarpment and broad floodplains of Kakadu, or the pristine red shores of Broome’s Roebuck Bay. Or maybe you envisage the lushness of Queensland’s tropical rainforests […]
- Lessons from Little Barrier Island March 27, 2017
Tag Archives: Blue Chaffinch
Archived 2016 topics: Blue Chaffinch (Fringilla teydea) is being split: list F. teydea as Near Threatened and F. polatzeki as Critically Endangered or Endangered?
This is part of a consultation on the Red List implications of extensive changes to BirdLife’s taxonomy for passerines Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International will soon publish the second volume of the HBW-BirdLife Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the … Continue reading
Blue Chaffinch Fringilla teydea is currently listed as Near Threatened, however an increase in the species’s range on Tenerife strongly suggests that its overall population size has also increased. Notwithstanding the precarious state of the Gran Canaria subspecies, this suggests that the global status of the species ought to be revised to Least Concern. Continue reading