- Africa (89)
- Americas (210)
- Archive (255)
- Asia (174)
- Australia (20)
- Europe & Central Asia (32)
- Middle East (21)
- Pacific (66)
- Species Group (136)
- Taxonomy (1)
- Uncategorized (3)
Five most recent topics
- Suggestions for new topics
- Black Parrot (Coracopsis nigra) is being split: request for information on C. sibilans, and list C. barklyi as Vulnerable?
- Additional changes to species listed as Extinct: six [edited from five] Extinct species are being re-categorised as Not Recognised and 12 taxa [edited from 11] are being newly recognised as Extinct species
- Tahiti Kingfisher (Todiramphus veneratus) is being split: list T. youngi as Near Threatened and T. veneratus as Least Concern?
- Crescent-chested Puffbird (Malacoptila striata) is being split: list M. minor as Critically Endangered and M. striata as Near Threatened?
Tag Archives: Black-throated Babbler
Archived 2012-2013 topics: Black-throated Babbler (Stachyris nigricollis) and Fluffy-backed Tit-babbler (Macronous ptilosus): downlist both to Least Concern?
These species’ listing as Near Threatened, based on their suspected rate of decline, may not be tenable given their ability to persist in human-altered habitats. Both S. nigricollis and M. ptilosus have been listed as Near Threatened as a precautionary measure, but their habitat requirements suggest that they should both be downlisted to Least Concern on the basis that they are no longer considered to approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under any of the IUCN criteria. Continue reading