- Africa (89)
- Americas (210)
- Archive (255)
- Asia (174)
- Australia (20)
- Europe & Central Asia (32)
- Middle East (21)
- Pacific (66)
- Species Group (136)
- Taxonomy (1)
- Uncategorized (3)
Five most recent topics
- Suggestions for new topics
- Black Parrot (Coracopsis nigra) is being split: request for information on C. sibilans, and list C. barklyi as Vulnerable?
- Additional changes to species listed as Extinct: six [edited from five] Extinct species are being re-categorised as Not Recognised and 12 taxa [edited from 11] are being newly recognised as Extinct species
- Tahiti Kingfisher (Todiramphus veneratus) is being split: list T. youngi as Near Threatened and T. veneratus as Least Concern?
- Crescent-chested Puffbird (Malacoptila striata) is being split: list M. minor as Critically Endangered and M. striata as Near Threatened?
Tag Archives: Black-footed Albatross
Archived 2012-2013 topics: Black-footed Albatross (Phoebastria nigripes): downlist to Near Threatened?
BirdLife Species Factsheet for Black-footed Albatross Black-footed Albatross Phoebastria nigripes breeds on the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands (USA), the US Minor Outlying Islands and three outlying islands of Japan, colonies having been lost from other Pacific islands. The species is currently … Continue reading
Black-footed Albatross Phoebastria nigripes is currently listed as Endangered under criterion A4b,d, on the basis that its population is projected to decline by more than 60% over 56 years (estimate of three generations), as modelled using a moderate scenario for fisheries bycatch of 8,000 birds per year (Lewison and Crowder 2003). The recent analysis presented by Arata et al. (2009) brings into question the validity of the species’s current Red List status. It suggests that the rate of projected decline should be lowered, which could result in the species becoming eligible for downlisting. Continue reading