- Africa (149)
- Americas (274)
- Archive (525)
- Asia (222)
- Australia (29)
- Europe & Central Asia (68)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (46)
- Pacific (80)
- Species Group (183)
- Taxonomy (35)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Asian Fairy-bluebird (Irena puella) is being split: list Palawan Fairy-bluebird I. tweeddalei as Near Threatened?
- The newly described taxon Hypocnemis rondoni is to be recognised as a species by BirdLife: request for information.
- The newly described taxon Hemitriccus cohnhafti is to be recognised as a species by BirdLife: list as Near Threatened?
- Blue Chaffinch (Fringilla teydea) is being split: list F. teydea as Near Threatened and F. polatzeki as Critically Endangered or Endangered?
- Red-headed Fody (Foudia eminentissima) is being split: list F. aldabrana as Near Threatened and F. consobrina as Least Concern? Request for information on F. eminentissima
- Threatened African rainforest teeming with unique life declared a National Park September 23, 2016It is one of the last strongholds of the Guinean Forest, a moist forest eco-region that once covered West Africa like a blanket from Guinea to Togo, but has shrunk by 70% over the last several centuries due to human activities in the region. It offers vital resources to the communities who live on the […]
- Fancy a mate? Only if shade grown September 23, 2016Organic yerba mate receives a healthy infusion from Darwin Initiative grants scheme. Guyra Paraguay (BirdLife in Paraguay) and its local partners awarded more than £300,000 to protect Paraguay’s Atlantic Forest through their shade grown yerba mate project. When you think about plantations, several images may spring to mind. Rows of uniform trees stretching as […]
- The best of both worlds: a joint statement from HeidelbergCement & BirdLife September 22, 2016If politics is, as they say, ‘the art of the possible’, then the HeidelbergCement-BirdLife partnership has very good news for the European Commission. All too often, environmental concerns are unwisely dismissed as secondary to – or, in some cases, incompatible with – economic activity. Yet, Eurobarometer polls show that European citizens expect progress in both […]
- Threatened African rainforest teeming with unique life declared a National Park September 23, 2016
Tag Archives: Black Catbird
Black Catbird Melanoptila glabrirostris is currently classified as Near Threatened, however if rapid habitat loss has led to population declines of >30% over the past 10 years, the species would warrant uplisting to Vulnerable.
(This discussion was first posted as part of the 2009 Red List update) Continue reading