- Africa (169)
- Americas (321)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (266)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing of birds in Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq and Iran
- Shy Albatross (Thalassarche cauta): uplist from Near Threatened to Vulnerable?
- Amsterdam Albatross (Diomedea amsterdamensis): downlist from Critically Endangered to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- Northern Brown Kiwi (Apteryx mantelli): downlist to Vulnerable?
- The Bird Bulletin, Vol.9 May 26, 2017Welcome to the latest edition of ‘The Bird Bulletin’ – our weekly news brief. Every Friday morning, we bring you bite-sized updates from across Europe & Central Asia – kick start your weekend with “what a little bird told me!” OUT FOR THE COUNT – Volunteers from our partners ACBK (Kazakhstan) and RSPB (UK) […]
- Le vautour fauve M13 fait le buzz au Maroc: Etes-vous superstitieux? May 24, 2017Tout a commencé en début d’année 2017 lorsque les agents du Haut-Commissariat aux Eaux et Forêts et la lutte contre la Désertification découvrent cinq vautours fauves épuisés (2 adultes, 1 sub-adulte et 2 immatures) dans la Région de Jbel Moussa. Cette zone, au sud du détroit de Gibraltar est située sur le trajet des oiseaux […]
- Flying Start – new hope for the Turtle-dove May 24, 2017Joscelyne Ashpole from RSPB (BirdLife UK) explains why there is new hope for the Turtle-dove across its migratory flyways. In ancient Greek mythology, the European Turtle-dove Streptopelia turtur was purported to be sacred to Demeter, goddess of the harvest and agriculture. As a species of cultivated areas and woodland, the Turtle-dove would have been a […]
- The Bird Bulletin, Vol.9 May 26, 2017
Category Archives: Vultures
Many thanks to all who contributed information and comments on this year’s reassessments. The 2015 Red List for birds was launched today, and the new assessments can be found at http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/search. You can read the BirdLife news story here: http://www.birdlife.org/worldwide/news/2015-red-list-vultures-shorebirds-and-other-iconic-species … Continue reading
African endemics: White-headed Vulture Trigonoceps occipitalis: uplist from Vulnerable to Critically Endangered? Hooded Vulture Necrosyrtes monachus: uplist from Endangered to Critically Endangered? White-backed Vulture Gyps africanus: uplist from Endangered to Critically Endangered? Cape Vulture Gyps coprotheres: uplist from Vulnerable to … Continue reading
It has been suggested that the species, like many vulture species in South Asia, is potentially being impacted by diclofenac, in particular when young birds descend to lowland areas in South and South-East Asia, where there is a high prevalence in the veterinary use of the drug by farmers (S. Mahood in litt. 2008, 2011; C. Bowden in litt. 2011). Further information is requested on the species’s population trends throughout its range, in addition to any evidence of threats, in particular the likely impact of diclofenac poisoning. Continue reading
Archived 2014 discussion: Lammergeier / Bearded Vulture* (Gypaetus barbatus): is it eligible for a higher threat category?
Data and observations regarding population trends and numbers throughout the species’s range are requested so that a comprehensive review of its global threat status can be carried out. In particular, information is needed from China and Mongolia, northern South Asia, Central Asia, the Middle East (especially Iran), south-eastern Europe (especially Turkey) and East Africa. Continue reading
Final decisions have been reached on the 2013 forum consultations. These are subject to approval and ratification by the IUCN. Continue reading
The attached spreadsheet lists preliminary decisions for the 2013 Red List update. Continue reading
2011-2012 Forum topics Final decisions The attached spreadsheet lists the results of the 2012 forum consultations, subject to approval and ratification by IUCN. Please use the filters to look for your region or species group of interest. Any discussions of … Continue reading
2012 forum topics provisional decisions The attached spreadsheet lists preliminary decisions for the 2012 Red List. Please use the filters to look for your region or species group of interest. There will now be a further final opportunity to make … Continue reading
Archived 2011-2012 topics: White-backed Vulture (Gyps africanus) and Rueppell’s Vulture (Gyps rueppelli): request for information
Assessing overall population trends in such widespread and mobile species is inherently problematic, and such species may also be prone to natural fluctuations in abundance. However, it remains necessary to evaluate whether the current listing of Near Threatened for G. africanus and G. rueppelli is likely to be correct. Continue reading