This discussion was first published on Dec 1 2010 as part of the 2010-2011 Red List update, but remains open for comment to enable reassessment in 2014.
Rio de Janeiro Antbird Cercomacra brasiliana is listed as Near Threatened under criterion B1a+b(i,ii,iii,v) on the basis that it was known from fewer than 10 locations within a moderately small range, in which it was generally considered rare or uncommon, with numbers probably declining.
Following on from improved knowledge of its distribution in areas where it had previously been overlooked (del Hoyo et al. 2003), the species’s Extent of Occurrence has been updated by BirdLife and estimated at 114,200 km2, which no longer approaches the threshold for Vulnerable under the B1 criterion, and suggests that the species is eligible for downlisting to Least Concern.
This species is regarded as generally rare in occurrence (Sick 1993, Ridgely and Tudor 1994), but locally common (del Hoyo et al. 2003); however, there are apparently no estimates of the total population size. It is presumed to be affected by deforestation (Ridgely and Tudor 1994), although it may not be severely impacted by habitat fragmentation and degradation as it is known to be tolerant of secondary habitats (Sick 1993).
Up-to-date information is requested on this species’s likely population size, estimated rate of decline over 20 years (estimate of three generations) and the severity of threats to help in the assessment of its status.
del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A. and Christie, D. (2003) Handbook of the Birds of the World, vol 8: Broadbills to Tapaculos. Barcelona, Spain: Lynx Edicions.
Ridgely, R. S. and Tudor, G. (1994) The birds of South America. Austin, Texas: University of Texas Press.
Sick, H. (1993) Birds in Brazil: a natural history. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Rufous-tailed Antbird (Drymophila genei): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Dull-mantled Antbird (Myrmeciza laemosticta) and Magdalena Antbird (M. palliata): newly split and threatened?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Great-billed Seed-finch (Oryzoborus maximiliani): request for information
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Large-billed Seed-finch (Oryzoborus crassirostris): request for information
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Red-masked Parakeet (Aratinga erythrogenys): request for information