This discussion was first published as part of the 2013 Red List update, but remains open for comment to enable reassessment in 2014.
Malindi Pipit Anthus melindae is restricted to the coastal strip from Mombasa in Kenya north to 3°N in southern Somalia and along the lower reaches of the Tana, Jubba and Shabeelle valleys (Keith et al. 1992). It is currently classified as Near Threatened under criterion B1ab(iii) because it was thought to have a relatively small Extent of Occurrence (EOO) of less than 20,000 km2, in which it was potentially threatened by changes in land-use practices. However, recent mapping of this species’s range by BirdLife International suggests that it is much larger than previously expected, with an EOO of c.84,200 km2. Thus, the species no longer approaches the thresholds for Vulnerable under the range size criterion and its status needs to be reassessed.
The population size of this species has not been quantified, but it is considered rare to abundant. If there is evidence to suggest that the population approaches 10,000 mature individuals, it is in decline and all subpopulations approach 1,000 mature individuals, this species would qualify as Near Threatened under criterion C2a(i). The population is, however, suspected to be stable in the absence of evidence for any declines or substantial threats. If this information is confirmed, this species would not approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under any of the IUCN Red List criteria and would warrant downlisting to Least Concern.
Information is requested on the species’s population size, trends and the severity of threats, and any further comments are welcome.
Keith, S., Urban, E. K. and Fry, C. H. (1992) The birds of Africa vol. IV. London, UK: Academic Press.
- Cinderella Waxbill (Estrilda thomensis): downlist to Least Concern?
- Cameroon Montane Greenbul (Andropadus montanus): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Red-collared Mountain-babbler (Kupeornis rufocinctus): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Papyrus Gonolek (Laniarius mufumbiri): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Grey-striped Francolin (Francolinus griseostriatus): downlist to Least Concern?