This discussion was first published as part of the 2013 Red List update, but remains open for comment to enable reassessment in 2014.
Javan Trogon Apalharpactes reinwardtii is restricted to West Java, Indonesia. It is currently classified as Endangered under criterion C2a(i) because it was thought to have a very small population (<2,500 mature individuals), with all subpopulations numbering ≤250 mature individuals, which were likely to be in continuing decline owing to habitat loss and degradation. The Extent of Occurrence (EOO) of this species is estimated at c.1,100 km2.
This species is known from just six forested mountains in West Java: Gunung Halimun, Gunung Salak, Gunung Gede-Pangrango, Gunung Patuha-Tilu, Gunung Wayang and Gunung Papandayan. There are recent records from only three of these (Halimun, Salak and Gede-Pangrango), but it is still recorded regularly in these areas in suitable habitats (N. Brickle in litt. 2012). The global population was previously estimated as low as a few hundred pairs (Collar and van Balen 2002), but if this species is more abundant in these areas than previously thought, this estimate may require revision upwards. If further information suggests that the global population exceeds 2,500 mature individuals, and/or all subpopulations contain more than 250 mature individuals (but are ≤1,000), this species would warrant downlisting to Vulnerable under criterion C2a(i) of the IUCN Red List. If this species is still found at ≤10 locations, the EOO is <20,000 km2 and the area and quality of its habitat is continuing to decline, this species would also qualify as Vulnerable under criterion B1ab(ii,iii,v).
Information is required on this species’s distribution, population size and size of the largest subpopulation, and any further comments on the proposed downlisting are welcomed.
Collar, N. J. and van Balen, S. (2002) The Blue-tailed Trogon Harpactes (Apalharpactes) reinwardtii: species limits and conservation status. Forktail 18: 121-125.
- Archived 2014 discussion: Kittlitz’s Murrelet (Brachyramphus brevirostris): is it eligible for downlisting?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Baird’s Trogon (Trogon bairdii): request for information
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Taxonomic change in the genus Cissa: list Javan Green Magpie (C. thalassina) as Critically Endangered and Bornean Green Magpie (C. jefferyi) as Least Concern?
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Newly-split Malayan Banded Pitta (Pitta irena), Bornean Banded Pitta (P. schwaneri) and Javan Banded Pitta (P. guajana): list all as Least Concern?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Pulitzer’s Longbill (Macrosphenus pulitzeri): downlist to Vulnerable or Near Threatened?