BirdLife species factsheet for Rufous-tailed Antbird Rufous-tailed Antbird Drymophila genei occurs in montane forests of south-east Brazil (south Espírito Santo, south-east Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro and north-east São Paulo) (Ridgely and Tudor 1994, Parker et al. 1996). It has been recorded at eight sites, most of which are isolated patches of habitat (J. M. Goerck in litt. 2000). It is currently listed as Near Threatened under criterion B1ab(i,ii,iii,iv,v) because it was thought to have a moderately small and highly fragmented range, likely to be in decline. However, mapping of this species’s range shows that its Extent of Occurrence (EOO) is larger than previously thought, estimated to be 43,300km2. Population declines could be occurring due to habitat degradation in parts of the range, as well as the effects of population isolation due to extreme fragmentation, but these declines are unlikely to be severe as the montane habitats occupied by this species are under limited pressure from human development. Also, the global population size has not been quantified, but this species is described as ‘common’ (Stotz et al. 1996). If this information is confirmed, and the species’s EOO does not approach 20,000km2 and the population is not in continuing decline, it would no longer approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under the range size criterion and would warrant downlisting to Least Concern. Further information on distribution, population size and trends is requested, and additional comments on the proposed downlisting are welcome. References: Parker, T. A., Stotz, D. F. and Fitzpatrick, J. W. (1996) Ecological and distributional databases. In: Stotz, D.F., Fitzpatrick, J.W., Parker, T.A. and Moskovits, D.K. (ed.), Neotropical bird ecology and conservation, pp. 113-436. University of Chicago Press: Chicago. Ridgely, R. S. and Tudor, G. (1994) The birds of South America. University of Texas Press: Austin, Texas.
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Scaled Ground-cuckoo (Neomorphus squamiger): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Dwarf Tinamou (Taoniscus nanus): downlist to Near Threatened or Least Concern?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Rufous Crab-hawk (Buteogallus aequinoctialis): uplist to Vulnerable?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Brazilian Merganser (Mergus octosetaceus): downlist to Endangered?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Dull-mantled Antbird (Myrmeciza laemosticta) and Magdalena Antbird (M. palliata): newly split and threatened?