BirdLife species factsheet for Palawan Striped-babbler Palawan Striped-babbler Stachyris hypogrammica is restricted to Palawan, Philippines, where it is known from Mt Victoria, Mt Mataling, Mt Borangbato, Mt Mantalingajan at the peak and at Magtaguimbong. It is currently listed as Near Threatened under criterion B1ab(iii) because it has a small range and its montane habitats were thought relatively safe from the threat of conversion. However, the Extent of Occurrence (EOO) of this species is estimated to be 260km2 and it is known from just five locations. Although various reports have suggested that it remains common within its limited range, the rates of deforestation are said to be increasing on the island. If there is sufficient evidence to suggest that this species’s range is in continuing decline, and it’s EOO is <5,000km2 and it is found in ≤5 locations, this species would warrant uplisting to Endangered under criterion B1ab(iii) of the IUCN Red List. If evidence confirms that the species’s range and population are relatively stable, it should remain as Near Threatened on the basis that it approaches criterion B1ab(iii). Information is requested on this species’s distribution, population size, trends, and on the rates of habitat conversion within its range. Comments on the proposed uplisting are also welcome.
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Melodious Babbler (Malacopteron palawanense), Palawan Blue-flycatcher (Cyornis lemprieri) and Blue Paradise-flycatcher (Terpsiphone cyanescens): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Nonggang Babbler (Stachyris nonggangensis): uplist to Vulnerable?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Black-throated Babbler (Stachyris nigricollis) and Fluffy-backed Tit-babbler (Macronous ptilosus): downlist both to Least Concern?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Manipur Bush-quail (Perdicula manipurensis): uplist to Endangered?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Cloud-forest Pygmy-owl (Glaucidium nubicola): uplist to Endangered?