This discussion was first published as part of the 2010 Red List update, but remains open for comment to enable reassessment in 2013. Pileated Flycatcher Xenotriccus mexicanus is found in the interior of south-west Mexico from central Michoacán and Morelos to Oaxaca. There is a recent record from Laguna del Tigre National Park, Guatemala, considerably extending is known range. It is common at Monte Albán, Oaxaca, in summer, but rare or absent in winter when birds may migrate into the Balsas drainage. It is listed as Near Threatened on the IUCN Red List because it was thought to have a restricted range that approaches the threshold for listing as Vulnerable (<20,000 km2) combined with severely fragmented habitat or occurrence at approximately ten or fewer locations and a continuing decline in its habitat, population size or number of locations/sub-populations. However, this species has been mapped by Natureserve/BirdLife International as having an estimated Extent of Occurrence (EOO) of 113,000 km2, hence it does not appear to approach the IUCN thresholds and appears to warrant downlisting to Least Concern. However, if the species has experienced declines over the past three generations (11 years, BirdLife International unpubl. data) approaching 30% it may warrant listing as Near Threatened under the A criterion (population declines). Given its relatively large range size it seems unlikely that this species will have a population approaching 10,000 mature individuals so it would not qualify as threatened or Near Threatened on population size under the C criterion. Comments on the population trends of this species and its proposed downlisting are welcomed. (This discussion was started as part of the 2010 Red List update) The following document was sent by Pronatura on 16 February 2012: Xenotriccus mexicanus Pronatura Feb12
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Belted Flycatcher (Xenotriccus callizonus): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Colima Warbler Vermivora crissalis: downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Black-billed Flycatcher (Aphanotriccus audax): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Scaled Ground-cuckoo (Neomorphus squamiger): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Laysan Duck (Anas laysanensis): downlist to Vulnerable?