This discussion was first published on Dec 3 2010 as part of the 2010-2011 Red List update, but remains open for comment to enable reassessment in 2013. A large-scale re-evaluation of species limits among Pyrrhura parakeets has resulted in, amongst other changes, the transferring of the taxon emma of Venezuela from P. leucotis into P. picta (SACC 2008, 2010). The species Pyrrhura leucotis is now restricted to Brazil, where it is found in to lowland and foothill (up to 500 m) forest from Bahia south of the Jequitinhonha river, south to Espirito Santo, parts of eastern Bahia and Rio de Janeiro. The southernmost population now occurs in Serra do Tinguá (22˚36’S, 43˚27’W). In southern Bahia it has been recently found in only 4 of 30 surveyed areas, and seems associated with the now very reduced “matas de tabuleiro”, and it has undoubtedly undergone significant population declines. Prior to this reorganisation P. leucotis was classified as Near Threatened, and it was noted that the Brazilian population was far more highly threatened than the birds in Venezuela: it seems likely that following this taxonomic change leucotis may warrant a higher category of threat. Information on population size and trend (to be assessed over a period of 18 years/three generations – BirdLife International unpubl. data), together with comments on the threat from trade (if any) and the ability of the species to persist in degraded habitats and isolated fragments of forest are requested. SACC (2008). Proposal 206: Redefine species limits in Pyrrhura picta and leucotis complexes SACC (2010). Proposal 403: Elevate Pyrrhura griseipectus to species rank
- Africa (169)
- Americas (321)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (266)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing of birds in Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq and Iran
- Shy Albatross (Thalassarche cauta): uplist from Near Threatened to Vulnerable?
- Amsterdam Albatross (Diomedea amsterdamensis): downlist from Critically Endangered to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- Northern Brown Kiwi (Apteryx mantelli): downlist to Vulnerable?
- Hot off the Press! ‘European Birds of Conservation Concern’ May 22, 2017BirdLife unveils its latest publication, ‘European Birds of Conservation Concern’, in Parma Italy. This essential handbook will help every country in Europe to identify their bird conservation responsibilities. ‘Birds know no borders’ – this oft-cited observation is especially pertinent in Europe, writes Dr. Ian Burfield and Anna Staneva in their introduction to BirdLife International’s […]
- Europe celebrates ‘Natura 2000 Day’! May 22, 2017As Europeans celebrate their first official ‘Natura 2000 Day’, Asunción Ruiz, director of SEO/BirdLife Spain, tell Spanish press agency EFE why “the planet needs Europe’. It’s one of the European Union’s single greatest achievements, yet millions of Europeans are not aware of its existence. For the past 25 years, the Natura 2000 network has probably […]
- The Bird Bulletin - Vol. 8 May 19, 2017Welcome to the latest edition of ‘The Bird Bulletin’ – our weekly news brief. Every Friday morning, we bring you bite-sized updates from across Europe & Central Asia – kick start your weekend with “what a little bird told me!” THANK (E)U FOR CELEBRATING NATURE! – This week the EU officially declared 21st May […]
- Hot off the Press! ‘European Birds of Conservation Concern’ May 22, 2017