This discussion was first published on Dec 1 2010 as part of the 2010-2011 Red List update, but remains open for comment to enable reassessment in 2013.
Blue-bellied Parrot Triclaria malachitacea is currently listed as Near Threatened under criteria A2c,d; A3c,d; A4c,d on the basis that an ongoing population decline of 20-29% over 10 years is suspected to be taking place owing to habitat loss and trapping.
Habitat loss has been extensive and is driven by conversion to agriculture, urbanisation, intensive palmito-collecting and cutting for fuelwood (Bencke 1996). In the mid-1980s, small numbers of T. malachitacea were found in international trade, with some internal trade noted, although the species was rarely found in captivity (Bencke 1996). In the early 1990s, the species was considered to number fewer than 5,000 individuals (Lambert et al. 1993); however, an estimate of the total population size has apparently not been made since. Anecdotal evidence from Rio Grande do Sul suggests that, despite Bencke’s (1996) estimation of c.10,000 birds in the state, the species may now be scarce there (J. Gilardi in litt. 2010).
Up-to-date information is requested, including estimates of the total population size, the likely rate of decline over 13 years (estimate of three generations) and the severity of threats.
Bencke, G. A. (1996) The ecology and conservation of the Blue-bellied Parrot Triclaria malachitacea in forest fragments in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. Final report.
Lambert, F., Wirth, R., Seal, U. S., Thomsen, J. B. and Ellis-Joseph, S. (1993) Parrots: an action plan for their conservation 1993-1998. Cambridge, U.K.:BirdLife International and International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources.
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Coppery-bellied Puffleg (Eriocnemis cupreoventris): request for information
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Bronze-winged Parrot (Pionus chalcopterus): request for information
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Grey Parrot (Psittacus erithacus) has been split into Grey Parrot (P. erithacus) and Timneh Grey Parrot (P. timneh): are both eligible for uplisting?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Thick-billed Parrot (Rhynchopsitta pachyrhyncha): request for information
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Blue-winged Racquet-tail (Prioniturus verticalis): uplist to Critically Endangered?