Initial deadline for comments: 31 January 2012 [note that this has been moved back by about two months].
Short-tailed Scimitar-babbler Jabouilleia danjoui is a resident of primary and secondary forest in Vietnam, central Laos and northern Myanmar, with elevation ranges varying amongst its subspecies (del Hoyo et al. 2007). It is listed as Near Threatened under criteria A2c; A3c; A4c; C1; C2a(i), on the basis that it is thought to have a moderately small population and is suspected to be undergoing a moderately rapid population decline owing to on-going deforestation.
Following the description of a taxon from northern Myanmar (Rappole et al. 2005) that BirdLife recognises as a subspecies (naungmungensis) of J. danjoui, the species is now considered to have a larger range than previously thought. It is also noted to tolerate some habitat modification as it is able to survive in secondary forest. It is therefore possible that the population is not moderately small (approaching as few as 10,000 mature individuals) and is not in moderately rapid decline (typically 20-29% over 10 years or three generations, but estimated at 1-19% in this species), despite the need for the rate of decline to be corrected to a trend period of 17 years (estimate of three generations; BirdLife International unpubl. data).
It is suggested that this species be downlisted to Least Concern as it is unlikely to approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under any of the IUCN criteria. Further information on this species is requested, especially on the likely population size and rate of decline over a period of 17 years.
del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A. and Christie, D. (2007) Handbook of the Birds of the World, vol. 12: Picathartes to Tits and Chickadees. Barcelona, Spain: Lynx Edicions.
Rappole, J. H., Renner, S. C., Nay M. S. and Sweet, P. R. (2005) A new species of scimitar-babbler (Timaliidae: Jabouilleia) from the sub-Himalayan region of Myanmar. Auk 122: 1064-1069.
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Buff-browed Chachalaca (Ortalis superciliaris): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Spotted Owl (Strix occidentalis): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: White-throated Wren-babbler (Rimator pasquieri): uplist to Endangered?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Ribbon-tailed Drongo (Dicrurus megarhynchus): uplist to Near Threatened?
- Black-throated Babbler (Stachyris nigricollis) and Fluffy-backed Tit-babbler (Macronous ptilosus): downlist both to Least Concern?