Initial deadline for comments: 31 January 2012.
Heinroth’s Shearwater Puffinus heinrothi is known from the Bismarck Archipelago and Bougainville, Papua New Guinea, and Kolombangara in the Solomon Islands (Coates 1985, Buckingham et al. 1995). The species is listed as Vulnerable under criteria D1 and D2, on the basis that it is thought to have a very small population, estimated at 250-999 individuals, and a breeding range restricted to fewer than six locations.
The species’s population trend is suspected to be stable; however, the islands on which it is known to breed are inhabited by introduced cats, rats and dogs. Although the species is likely to breed in high inaccessible mountains, rats have been observed to at least 900 m on Kolombangara, and are a potential threat to a burrow-nesting species such as this (Buckingham et al. 1995). Cats, though, are perhaps a greater threat (G. Dutson in litt. 2007). The species is also potentially impacted by logging, which may actually be the most important threat (C. Collins pers. comm.). Any evidence that suggests a decline is occurring in the population might make the species eligible for uplisting to Endangered under criterion C2a(ii).
Further information on this species is requested, in particular on the likely impacts of potential threats and the probable population trend.
Buckingham, D. L., Dutson, G. C. L. and Newman, J. L. (1995) Birds of Manus, Kolombangara and Makira (San Cristobal) with notes on mammals and records from other Solomon Islands. Report of the Cambridge Solomons Rainforest Project 1990.
Coates, B. J. (1985) The birds of Papua New Guinea, 1: non-passerines. Alderley, Australia: Dove.
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Baer’s Pochard (Aythya baeri): request for information
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Collared Petrel (Pterodroma brevipes): uplist to Vulnerable?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Orinoco Goose (Neochen jubata): request for information
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Black-footed Albatross (Phoebastria nigripes): eligible for downlisting?
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Solomon Islands Frogmouth (Rigidipenna inexpectata): uplist to Near Threatened or Vulnerable?