Initial deadline for comments: 31 January 2012 [note that this has been moved back by about two months].
Green-tailed Bristlebill Bleda eximius is known from the Upper Guinea forests of south-eastern Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Côte d’Ivoire and southern Ghana. It is currently listed as Vulnerable under criteria A2c; A3c; A4c on the basis that its population is suspected to be undergoing a continued decline equivalent to 30-49% over 10 years (estimate of three generations). A rapid decline is suspected because of intense pressure on forests for logging, agriculture and industrial development (e.g., H. Rainey in litt. 2007). This pressure is increasing locally and driving rapid deforestation in some areas.
Recently, however, evidence has been gathered that suggests this species is tolerant of forest degradation, such as logging and road-building, and its overall and local abundance may have previously been underestimated owing to the timing of surveys (Dowsett-Lemaire and Dowsett 2009, F. Dowsett-Lemaire in litt. 2010). As a consequence, it has been recommended that the species be downlisted to Near Threatened (F. Dowsett-Lemaire in litt. 2010). To qualify for Near Threatened under criterion A, the currently suspected rate of decline should be downgraded to a rate approaching 30% (typically 20-29%) over the last 10 years and/or be projected to decline at this rate over the next 10 years. Typically, a rate of decline estimated at below 20% over 10 years would qualify a species for Least Concern.
Comments are invited on the recommendation to downlist this species to Near Threatened and further information on its status is requested.
Dowsett-Lemaire, F. and Dowsett, R. J. (2009) Comments on selected forest reserves in SW Ghana: wildlife and conservation status. Dowsett-Lemaire Misc. Report 64.
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Black-footed Albatross (Phoebastria nigripes): eligible for downlisting?
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Rufous Fishing-owl (Scotopelia ussheri): downlist to Vulnerable?
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Yellow-naped Amazon (Amazona auropalliata): is it eligible for uplisting?
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Steppe Eagle (Aquila nipalensis): information requested.
- Archived 2011-2012 topics: Tufted Jay (Cyanocorax dickeyi): request for information