Amazonian Parrotlet Nannopsittaca dachilleae is listed as Near Threatened under criterion C2a(ii), because its population was suspected to number c.10,000 mature individuals, and was suspected to be in decline owing to habitat loss and degradation caused by selective logging, oil and gas extraction, mining, and associated road building and colonisation (Dinerstein et al. 1995). Its habitat, however, is relatively intact owing mostly to its inaccessibility, and the species has been described as locally common to very common (Juniper and Parr 1998, Forshaw 2006).
The species’s Extent of Occurrence is estimated at 134,000 km2, raising the question of whether the current population estimate is correct. If the population has been greatly underestimated, the species could be eligible for downlisting to Least Concern. However, recent observations suggest that the species is patchily distributed and very uncommon wherever it occurs (J. Gilardi in litt. 2010).
Up-to-date information is requested on this species’s likely population size, estimated population trend over 15 years (estimate of three generations) and the severity of threats to help in the assessment of its threat status.
Dinerstein, E., Olson, D. M., Graham, D. J., Webster, A. L., Primm, S. A., Bookbinder, M. P. and Ledec, G. (1995) A conservation assessment of the terrestrial ecoregions of Latin America and the Caribbean. Washington, D.C.: World Bank.
Forshaw, J. M. (2006) Parrots of the world: an identification guide. Princeton, NJ/Oxford, UK: Princeton University Press.
Juniper, T. and Parr, M. (1998) Parrots: a guide to the parrots of the world. Robertsbridge, UK: Pica Press.
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Ornate Lorikeet (Trichoglossus ornatus): request for information
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Red-masked Parakeet (Aratinga erythrogenys): request for information
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Cochabamba Mountain-finch (Compsospiza garleppi): request for information
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Coppery-bellied Puffleg (Eriocnemis cupreoventris): request for information
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Blue-bellied Parrot (Triclaria malachitacea): request for recent information