Viridian Dacnis Dacnis viguieri occurs in north-west Colombia (north Chocó, north-west Antioquia, south-west Córdoba) and east Panama (east Darién). Within this small range it is generally rare. It is listed as Near Threatened on the IUCN Red List because it was thought to have a restricted range that approaches the threshold for listing as Vulnerable (<20,000 km2) combined with severely fragmented habitat or occurrence at approximately ten or fewer locations and a continuing decline in its habitat, population size or number of locations/sub-populations.
However, this species has been mapped by Natureserve/BirdLife International as having an estimated Extent of Occurrence (EOO) of 56,500 km2, hence it does not appear to approach the IUCN thresholds and appears to warrant downlisting to Least Concern. However, if the species has experienced declines over the past three generations (11 years, BirdLife International unpubl. data) approaching 30% it may warrant listing as Near Threatened under the A criterion (population declines). Given its relatively large range size it seems unlikely that this species will have a population approaching 10,000 mature individuals so it would not qualify as threatened or Near Threatened on population size under the C criterion.
Comments on the population trends of this species and its proposed downlisting are welcomed.
(This discussion was started as part of the 2010 Red List update)
Dacnis viguieri se encuentra al noroeste de Colombia (norte del Chocó, noroeste de Antioquia, suroeste de Córdoba) y este de Panamá (este de Darién); siendo una especie rara a lo largo de su área de distribución. La extensión de la presencia (EOO) calculada para la especie es de 56.500 km2.
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Sooty Ant-tanager (Habia gutturalis): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Black-billed Flycatcher (Aphanotriccus audax): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2010-2011 topics: Belted Flycatcher (Xenotriccus callizonus): downlist to Least Concern?
- Balsas Screech-owl (Megascops seductus): downlist to Least Concern?
- Archived 2012-2013 topics: Pileated Flycatcher (Xenotriccus mexicanus): downlist to Least Concern?