The Post-2020 Climate and Energy Package
Overall, the European Union’s current climate and energy policy framework is an excellent example of how Europe can work together on a common strategy on energy issues.
The framework aims at reducing the impact of climate change, gaining energy independence, creating industrial growth and providing better environmental solutions to our energy demands.
However, greater ambition is urgently needed and there are some issues which need to be addressed in the development of the 2030 framework.
The framework should be modified so that:
- Ambition levels of greenhouse gas (GHG) savings are significantly raised
- A legally binding energy efficiency target is introduced
- Binding national targets for renewable energy are maintained and ambition is raised to ensure a robust policy and stable investment framework
- A sector-specific renewable energy target for renewable energy in transport is scrapped
- The amount of energy that biomass can contribute to post-2020 targets is limited to what can be supplied by the EU’s maximum sustainable potential of domestic biomass feedstock
Read more about BirdLife Europe's work on Energy and Climate Change issues.