Slovakia - SOS/BirdLife
Mission of the organisation
Research and conservation of nature, mainly birds and their habitats.
- Monitoring of birds and data gathering.
- Protection of SPAs/IBA.
- Practical activities for endangered bird species and the management of biotopes.
- Development of membership.
- Environmental education and public awareness-building for bird conservation: lectures, World Birdwatch, Spring Arrivals, Bird of the Year.
- Environmental policy: agriculture, national campaigns on hot issues, comments on new legislation.
- Well developed monitoring programme : winterwaterfowl census, White Stork census with internet atlas of the White Stork nests.
- Management of bird islands with positive effect on nesting colonies of Common Terns, and gulls.
- Restoration of wetlands and management of wet meadows in east and southern Slovakia (IBA Senne, IBA Zitavsky luh).
- Nearly 100 ha of land purchased for birds and nature.
- Nature trail with birdwatching towers and Avescentrum in IBA Senne.
- All proposed IBAs are declared as Speciel protected areas under European legislation .
This page represents NGOs/civil society organisations and not nations or states.