Gibraltar Ornithological and Natural History Society (GONHS)
Founded in: 1976
Address: The Gibraltar Natural History Field Centre, Jews' Gate, Upper Rock Nature Reserve, P.O. Box 843, Gibraltar , GI
Tel/Fax: Tel. +350 20072639; Fax +350 20074022
Mission of the organisation
Fostering the study, conservation and dissemination of information on nature in Gibraltar and its hinterland.
- Advocacy and Lobbying;
- Environmental Watchdog role;
- Practical conservation: habitat restoration, re-introductions;
- Promoting public awareness;
- Wildlife management.
- Led a campaign to enforce laws banning net fishing which is detrimental to fish stocks and to the desmarestii race of Shag;
- Monitored daily numbers of passing birds of prey and contributed results to SEO/BirdLife's MIGRES programme;
- Contributed observations on seabirds to the LIFE Balearic Shearwater project;
- Successfully bred Lesser Kestrels in captivity for the first time. This programme will form the basis for boosting numbers of this species in Gibraltar;
- Achieved a long-standing aim of achieving full voting rights on the Territory's Development and Planning Commission.
This page represents NGOs/civil society organisations and not nations or states.