Bulgaria – Bulgarian Society for the Protection of Birds (BSPB)
Mission of the organisation
To work for the protection of birds, their habitats and sites and thus contribute to the conservation of biological diversity and the well-being of people.
- Field conservation work - implementation of direct 'in situ' conservation measures - Eastern Rhodopi (focusing on: Vultures, Birds of Prey);Poda Lagoon (focusing on: management of the protected area:
- Wetland Bird Diversity, Migration Stop-over, Education programmes with the schools in the city of Burgas, Eco-tourism development);
- Yatata Protected Area (management of the PA, raising awareness in the local community, grazing management, Eco-tourism development);
- Sakar Mountains region (Imperial Eagle protection, development and implementation of a National Species Action Plan), etc.
- Advocacy and legal advisory (work on drafting and consultation of legislation, contribution to national strategies and strategic planning -Biological Diversity, Forest Management,Water Management, Hunting; Development and contribution to Managmentt Plans of protected areas; EU Enlargement issues and impact on nature protection; Participation in EIA process)
- Education and public awareness campaigning: publications, postcard campaigns, working with the media; In 2000 BSPB organised a National Youth Competition for Essays titled "Wild Nature as a Part of My Living Environment" - over 1200 participants (aged 14-20) - broad media coverage.