BirdLife Europe and Partners call for “A new Europe for people, planet and prosperity for all”
BirdLife Europe and Partners have joined over 100 European and national Civil Society Organisations and Trade Unions to call for a new Europe that is inclusive, open, just, sustainable, and that works for people of all ages, social backgrounds and nations.
The declaration that was published on 12 September, highlights the urgent need to ensure the future of the European project and to ensure that it works for all its people and the planet.
The civil society organizations explain their vision and the active role they are ready to play in achieving it;
- Reject populist solutions; We must all – leaders, media and individuals – actively and at every opportunity speak out and act against division, marginalisation of different groups in society and those that play on fears for their own political ends.
- Tackle challenges together; The EU needs to be leading in ensuring sustainable and inclusive development, advancing human rights, and allowing for dignified movements of people, where refugees are welcome and all people feel safe.
- Fight for a sustainable, social Europe for people and for our planet; A new vision, inspired by the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, in which people, social justice, environmental and health protection, democracy and transparency take centre stage.
- Work for better Europe, not less Europe; This includes a new focus on equality and inclusion, a relaunch of the European social model to provide decent work, quality jobs and better living conditions, strong environmental protection, meaningful action on climate change, and an EU-wide effort to welcome and integrate migrants.
- Listen and engage; EU leaders, prime ministers, presidents, chancellors and parliamentarians must listen and engage actively with citizens of all ages and social backgrounds to understand and respond better to people’s concerns and propose a new, positive vision of Europe.
- Make the case for Europe; We stand ready to play an active role in this dialogue, and to work even harder in making the case for the benefits that working together have brought to European citizens, and the values for which this Union stands.
Read the full statement here: A new Europe for people, planet and prosperity for all
Stichting BirdLife Europe gratefully acknowledges financial support from the European Commission. All content and opinions expressed on these pages are solely those of Stichting BirdLife Europe.