- Recommendation on Natura 2000 designation: Complete designation of all Natura 2000 sites by 2012 (already a stated objective of Ireland’s National Biodiversity Plan) as well as proactively communicate benefits of designation.
Milestone 2014: Completed designation and address outstanding ECJ cases related to Natura 2000 in Ireland
- Recommendation on Natura 2000 management: Communicate need for cohesive and multi sectoral site management plans and develop detailed site specific conservation objectives for all Natura 2000 sites.
Milestone 2014: Set of published draft management plans and management measures for all sites by 2014
- Recommendation on Natura 2000 financing: Complete the PAF with commitments from all relevant state agencies including finance, agriculture, and environment ministries, improve effectiveness and monitoring of agri-environment spending.
Milestone 2014: Mechanism established to engage various government departments and stakeholders in addressing funding needs for Natura 2000
- Recommendation on degradation of protected areas: Peat Bog Management. Develop national peat bog policy & peat bog management strategy so that all Irish peatlands are managed appropriately to deliver biodiversity and climate change benefits
Milestone 2014: management plans in place for each and every protected peat bogs in Ireland; national peatland policy and strategy in place which reflects management hierarchy of Preservation → Restoration → Wise Use for all Irish peatlands
- Recommendation on species protection: Curlew. Develop Threat Response Plan for breeding Curlew which is necessary in the absence of coordinated targeted preventive measures to address the multiple regulators of land use change that are driving the decline in breeding Curlew in Ireland.
Milestone 2014: Threat Response Plan for Curlew led by Minister in place, with support for implementation from all relevant regulatory agencies and sectors.