Comparison of costs and benefits of investing in nature conservation in Portugal and available EU funding for Natura 2000
- The terrestrial Natura 2000 network covers 20.9% of the total area of Portugal hosting a rich flora and fauna, including several marine species, and endemic species.
- Examples of the beneficial monetary value provided by the vegetation cover of one Natura 2000 site in Portugal (Pico da Vara / Ribeira do Guilherme):
- Recharged aquifer = SAVED €600,000 per year.
- Regulated water flow, protection against flood and landslide risks = AVOIDED damage costs (up to EUR 20 billion) and loss of life
- Sequestration of 689,000 tonnes of carbon (tC) per year.