|Designation||The Natura 2000 network in the Netherlands currently comprises 166 sites, including 79 SPAs. The terrestrial network of Natura 2000 sites is largely complete with 92% SPA/IBA overlap. No new sites were added since 2010, but some sites still need to be formally designated under national law.
Further progress is needed with regard to the adoption of designation decrees for sites specifying the conservation objectives for the protected species and habitats and site boundaries. This process has been completed for about one third of the sites and is expected to be finalized for most other sites by 2013.
|Conservation||Up||A management plan is required by Dutch nature conservation law for all Natura 2000 sites, but the development of management plans has progressed slowly since 2010.
Management plans for many sites are in varying stages of development, but only few (<10) management plans have been formally adopted. One of the main reasons for this delay is uncertainty about license possibilities for agricultural developments near Natura 2000 sites.
|Financing||Down||The total annual costs of maintaining and restoring the Natura 2000 network in the Netherlands have been estimated at about 200 to 300 mill. EUR. Regular management accounts for 20%, whereas the remaining 80% is required to improve the conservation status of species and habitats in Natura 2000 sites.
The national budget for nature conservation was seriously reduced by the previous government. This was partly undone recently, but it is obvious that sufficient funding will not be available for Natura 2000. Available EU funding (LIFE, ERDF, EAFRD) currently cover approximately 14 mill. EUR a year, a very small part of the total need.