- Recommendation on Natura 2000 designation: IBAs 2011 and pSCIs (agreed on at biogeographical seminars) should be designated by the Government as Natura2000 sites. Slovenia has two infringements regarding Natura2000 – one on SPAs and one on pSCIs – so action must be taken immediately.
- Recommendation on Natura 2000 management: Agri-environmental measures should be reviewed as some are not being effective for nature conservation. Goals from PAF should be reviewed, amended and strictly pursued with a clear scheme of responsibilities for its implementation and ways of funding. Ecological research should be done for declining priority species, providing data for conservation measures. At least 25% of forest Natura2000 sites should be left to natural development. At least 25% of farmland/grassland Natura2000 sites must be covered by suitable agri-environmental measures that benefit qualifying species and habitat types.
- Recommendation on Natura 2000 financing: More funds should be allocated for nature-friendly agri-environmental measures making them attractive for farmers. Money from detrimental subsidies should be diverted into nature-conservation measures on all Natura2000 sites. A 100% increase in funding for agri-environmental measures is needed, with a 150% increase for these measures on Natura2000 sites.
- Recommendation on the impact of EU subsidies: No money from CAP or EU Cohesion Fund should be used for detrimental actions on Natura2000 sites. We suggest this money to be channelled into nature-friendly projects and measures (e.g. LIFE+, agri-environmental schemes).
Slovenia should make use of any modulation option allowed by the new cAP to shift pillar I funding towards agri-environmental schemes.
- Recommendation on degradation of protected areas: Slovenian legislation should be harmonized with that of the EU, making it also necessary to properly assess the effect of all sectorial plans on Natura2000. Provisions of Environment Protection Act regarding licenses for EIAs should be implemented. A system of of licenses for firms and individuals conducting EIAs and a supervision committee must be fully established.
- Recommendation on threats from a specific sector: At Natura2000 sites nature-conservation goals should be considered a priority and not a hindrance. National and EU funds should be allocated accordingly.
Halt of decline of qualifying habitat types and species at Natura2000 sites. Natura 2000 must increasingly be recognized and used as a local development tool.