As Ireland has taken over the Presidency of the European Council for the period January to June 2013, BirdLife Europe together with BirdWatch Ireland have produced a policy brief entitled Nature Creates Prosperity. It highlights the top recommendations to the Presidency, which focus on:
- Better spending at the heart of the EU budget
- A real LIFE-saver
- Reforming the CAP for sustainable EU farming
- Reforms to reverse the collapse at sea
- Seabird by-catch action plan
- Harmonised maritime spatial planning
- Biofuels, food, land and the climate
- Biomass, sustainability and climate impacts
- 2020 Forest Strategy
- 7th EAP, a blueprint for improving the implementation of EU law
- Tackle aliens to halt biodiversity loss
Six months from now, BirdLife Europe and BirdWatch Ireland will evaluate the successes and failures of Ireland on these top recommendations.
In connection with the Irish Presidency BirdWatch Ireland is arranging a photo exhibition of iconic Irish birds and the role of the Irish EU Presidency in securing our well-being, jobs and a sustainable future. The exhibition is showing from 21 January to 8 February 2013 at the European Commission Offices in Dublin.
BirdLife Europe BirdWatch Ireland
Ariel Brunner, Head of EU Policy Siobhán Egan, Senior Policy Officer