As Denmark has taken over the Presidency of the EU, BirdLife Europe, together with DOF/ BirdLife in Denmark, has produced a new issue of its bi-annual publication “Greening Europe”, highlighting BirdLife Europe’s EU policy priorities for the upcoming six months, and providing Denmark with ‘five keys to a successful Presidency’.
Birdlife’s top five recommendations to the Presidency are:
- Ensure that the total amount allocated to LIFE will be significantly increased under the Multiannual Financial framework (MFF), to at least 1% of the total EU Budget.
- Ensure that references to mandatory national plans for managing and funding the Natura 2000 network are included in every relevant EU Regulation.
- Ensure that the Environmental Council is fully engaged in the debate on CAP and that all voices in society are being reflected in the negotiations.
- Ensure strong Council conclusions endorsing the Commission’s EU Action plan for reducing incidental catch of seabirds in fishing gear.
- Introduce a mechanism to account for ILUC emissions in the biofuel sustainability criteria and bring forward sustainability safeguards for biomass.
Six months from now, BirdLife Europe will evaluate the successes and failures of Denmark on these top recommendations.
Download Greening Europe here.