Stop illegal bird killing
The BirdLife Partnership presents THE KILLING 2.0 — the second installment in our ongoing series of scientific reviews led by BirdLife exposing the scale and scope of the illegal killing of birds across critical regions. The first installment, published in August 2015, shocked many by revealing the brutal extent of the bird crime taking place in the Mediterranean. To those results, we now also add the results compiled from Northern Europe, Central Europe and the Caucasus.
YOU CAN HELP BIRDLIFE STOP THE ILLEGAL KILLING OF RAPTORS ACROSS EUROPE
You can read the European IKB project report here
In 2015 we published the first scientific study to quantify the true extent of the killing throughout the Mediterranean region. The horrific headline of The Killing Report was that more than 25 million birds are illegally slaughtered there each year.
With the help of thousands of loyal supporters, we have already secured some of the vital funds necessary to tackle illegal killing in key hotspots that the report identified. Work is already underway in the Famagusta area in Cyprus, the Menbej-Tishreen Dam area in Syria and the El Manzala area in Egypt. Staggeringly, in each of these places, more than half a million birds are being illegally slaughtered every year.
Our birds deserve safer flyways. To tackle these threats, conservation efforts need to be scaled up at the worst locations we have identified, coupled with effective and well-coordinated local, regional and national advocacy.
We know the extent of the problem. We are taking action already. But we need to increase the pressure now. Please join us. We are the power of many and together we can stop illegal bird killing - forever.
Explore our story map to find out the motivations, methods and countries where illegal killing occurs.
or follow the link: https://birdlife.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/
- Hunting and illegal killing of birds along the Mediterranean coast of Egypt: socio-economic study (May 2016)
- Scientific paper: Preliminary assessment of the scope and scale of illegal killing and taking of birds in the Mediterranean (March 2016)
- Download our layman report ''The Killing'' (August 2015)
- Download the report in French: "Les Messagers" and "Le Massacre".
- Protecting migratory birds: all projects in Europe and Central Asia
- Migratory birds and flyways
- Best practice guide for monitoring illegal killing and taking of birds
- Project report: Assessing the scope and scale of illegal killing and taking of birds in the Mediterranean, and establishing a basis for systematic monitoring