BirdLife: The Magazine
A note from the editor - download your free issue of BirdLife: the Magazine now!
Over the past months, around half of humanity has found itself under some form of restriction on their movement, and we are all experiencing disruption to our daily lives. In the spirit of providing our loyal supporters with a welcome distraction from the news cycle, we are making the July-September 2020 issue free for all to download, read, enjoy and share digitally via our website.
There’s still very much an ‘us and them’ attitude when it comes to humans and nature. For many, nature is something they can go and enjoy in a park or garden, but something very detached from their actual lives. But ultimately, our collective negligence of our planet’s health is proving fatal not just to what we consider the ‘natural world’, but to us, too. Millions of humans die every year as a result of environmental harm. Not in the future, not in 2030, but here and now. Reconnecting that link in people’s hearts and minds is one of the long-term goals of our One Planet, One Right campaign.
In this issue, we interview human rights experts on how we can, and must, enshrine the universal right to a healthy natural environment in law. Also in this issue, a shocking exposé of the illegal bird trade, and why post-COVID economic recovery must be green.
Enjoy the issue and stay safe,
Head of Communications, BirdLife International
The latest conservation news and breakthroughs, delivered to your door
Inside each issue of our quarterly magazine, we shine a light on the amazing, and sometimes dangerous, fieldwork our Partners are undertaking across the globe - from preventing albatrosses getting caught up and killed by fishing hooks in the middle of the ocean, to preserving natural areas of the Middle East ravaged by civil war.
With 115 national Partners around the world, BirdLife - The Magazine offers a truly global perspective on modern conservation issues, as well as some incredible real-life stories.
Exclusive articles and stunning photography
We have refreshed our magazine to make it bigger, brighter and better. Inside each issue you'll find:
- Inspiring articles written by leading experts in birds and biodiversity
- The latest breakthroughs and discoveries from our network of researchers
- Stunning images from celebrated wildlife photographers
- Insights into conservation projects straight from the field
- Challenging debates on nature and conservation’s hottest topics
- Spotlights on the threatened birds and habitats we simply can’t afford to lose
- Interviews with both famous and unsung conservation and birding heroes
Become a member of the World Bird Club and receive four magazines a year
World Bird Club members are so important to BirdLife. Their regular donations ensure that we can continue to provide essential conservation work all over the globe. By becoming a World Bird Club member, not only will you be making a difference to birds and people, but you will be kept up to date with exclusive printed (or digital) issues of BirdLife – The Magazine.
By signing up as a World Bird Club member, you’ll receive a welcome pack, which includes both the latest edition of BirdLife – the Magazine, as well as the previous issue, meaning you’ll receive five editions of this fantastic magazine in your first year.
In this issue:
- One Planet, One Right: our most ambitious campaign ever, how it will change lives, and how it can become a reality
- Birds are colour blind: in response to Black Lives Matter demonstrations and the world's first Black Birders Week, BirdLife staff in the UK, Senegal and Kenya voice their experiences and advice
- New hope for vultures with a landmark policy resolution
- How video games can be used to teach people about forest conservation