Nigerian Conservation Foundation (NCF)
Mission of the organisation
NCF pursues the conservation of nature and its resources with the aim of improving the quality of human life both in the present and the future by:
- Preserving the full range of Nigeria's biodiversity
- Promoting the sustainable use of natural resources for the benefit of present and future generations
- Advocating actions that minimise pollution and wasteful utilisation of renewable resources
- Policy advocacy
- Environmental education
- Research/Field projects
- Collaborated with the Federal Department of Forestry on the drafting of Nigeria’s National Forestry Law (2000).
- Established the A. P. Leventis Ornithological Research Institute (APLORI), Jos. An institute funded by A. P. Leventis Foundation in a bid to intensify ecological based research in order to ameliorate environmental degradation in Sub Saharan region of Africa. APLORI is the only institution in Africa (apart from South Africa) where conservation biology is studied at post graduate level.
- Implemented the Wing Over Wetlands (WOW). A project executed by NCF in partnership with United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and BirdLife International. A community based project that restored the integrity and water regime of the Hadejia-Nguru Wetlands (A RAMSAR site) that supports the livelihood of over 2 million people in north-eastern Nigeria.
- Implementing the Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) Project sponsored by Shell Petroleum Development Company. The Project focused on three elements which is geared towards the issues of biodiversity conservation, livelihood support programme, and instituting community-based governance structure for natural resource conservation. Based on the success story of the projects, Shell intends to replicate BAP in countries wherein they are operating.
- Establishment of Lekki Conservation centre. The only urban Nature Reserve in Nigeria and the biggest in West Africa and facilitated the establishment of active conservation clubs in Nigerian primary and secondary schools (public and private) through the schools' programmes.
- Established the Niger Delta Conservation and Sustainable Development (NDCSD) Project to instigate a paradigm shift from oil and gas dependence to realizing the trade value of biodiversity.