Wildlife Conservation Society of Tanzania's International Day for Biodiversity celebrations
By WCST, Mon, 14/06/2010 - 09:25
The Wildlife Conservation Society of Tanzania (BirdLife Partner), celebrated International Day for Biodiversity in style by organising events around the theme ‘Biodiversity is our life’. “It was great to see children appreciate nature and various goods and services provided by biodiversity”, said Victoria Ferdinand, the Education and Awareness Officer for WCST. “We need to instill the value of protecting the environment and in particular biodiversity to children for posterity”. Poster competition A total of 23 schools among them 12 Wildlife Club members took part in a Poster competition, and more than 300 children attended the IBD awarding ceremony. The winners were awarded various prizes, and all posters were displayed for one week at the National Museum Hall in Dar es Salaam. The Minister offered to top-up to the presents to all schools who had won the Poster competition. Some of the best posters have been adopted by Vice Presidents Office-Department of Environment for display in the World Environment Day (WED) 2010 exhibitions that are going on (1st – 5th June 2010) in the Country. Birdwatching Event Pupils of two schools enjoyed a special bird watching walk, as reflected in some their comments:
- I learnt different matters about birds, I am so happy to see a lot of water birds. We have to conserve them and we are not supposed to kill them they are good for tourist attraction in our country.
- Please keep on teaching other student so that they can get a chance to know birds and the benefit that can bring to our country.
- I learnt of different types of bird such as Peacock, House sparrow, Egyptian Goose, Waders and many others, also the way birds sing different songs.
- I learnt of how to keep birds of different species such as Fischer’s Love Bird and Sun bird.
- I got a chance to know what reasons make birds to migrate from on area to another. Also I got a chance to know different food used by birds like fruits.
- I learnt the way to determine birds’ sex: a male bird is small in size and attractive having feathers and wings with nice colors while female are a larger in size and not attractive at all.